It seems like the person Tom Collins never existed – at least not as someone the cocktail was named for. There was a Tom Collins hoax in 1874, which I’m not going to go into here. To me it basically seems like the original recipe specifically called for Old Tom gin, and this long drink is usually served in a Collins glass.
But enough talking, more mixing – and drinking.
- 50ml Dry London Gin from your preferred distillery
- 25ml lemon juice
- 15ml sugar syrup (see recipe here)
- Soda water
- Slice of lemon for garnish
- Mix the gin, lemon juice and sugar syrup in a shaker filled with ice.
- Pour into a tall glass and top up with soda water.