For some bizarre reason I set myself the task of reading 140 books this year – it’s 10 more than I read last year. At one state I was about nine books behind schedule, but I’m happy to say that at the moment I’m perfectly on track to reach my intended goal (you can check my progress on Goodreads here).
I found this infographic very interesting.
- I read The Casual Vacancy, and finished it. It was okay. I think everyone’s expectations for J.K. Rowling were unreasonable. Can you blame her for trying again under a pseudonym? (I’m currently reading The Cuckoo’s Calling, and it’s okay; I guess a little better than The Casual Vacancy, but nothing I’d vote for on a list of great/terrible reads.)
- I gave up on Fifty Shades because it annoyed me. Such bad writing! Such unbelievable characters. I got to chapter ten, I think, and decided I’ve got better things to do with my time.
- I just couldn’t get into Eat, Pray, Love. Maybe somewhere in the future.
- I tried The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, but many pages in I still didn’t know the point of all the words I’ve read (and not taken in). Then I got it on audio, finished it, loved it!
I’ve given up on Catch-22 (paperback and audiobook) twice. I rather enjoyed Atlas Shrugged (I suspect partly because I tried the audio format; I find, particularly the classics which feel laborious to read, an absolute joy on audio).
I don’t often put down a book, but I do believe life is too short, and my to-read list too long, to
waste spend time on something that doesn’t make me happy on some level.
What book have you refused to finish (or even start) and why?
- J.K. Rowling & E.L. James Lead Most Abandoned Books List (mediabistro.com)
- Goodreads Users Reveal What Makes a Book Readable (goodereader.com)
- ‘Lord Of The Rings’ And ‘Atlas Shrugged’ Top List Of Books People Can’t Finish (businessinsider.com)
- Abandoning Books (emilyjanuary.wordpress.com)
- Spoiler Alert: Why We Abandon Books (theparisreview.org)
- Infographic: What Makes You Put Down a Book? (the-digital-reader.com)
- 38% of Readers Will Finish a Book No Matter What (mediabistro.com)
- Abandonment issue: when do you give up on a book? (guardian.co.uk)
- The most abandoned books on Goodreads [infographic] (mithrilwisdom.com)
- An Inviting Infographic (referenceeditor.wordpress.com)